Sunday, December 6, 2020

Learner Response: Half-term assesment

 Learner Response


1.)

WWW:

Some confidence writing, using a range media terminology.

EBI:

Better focus on the questions especially the keywords and more developed answers

2.)

From reading the mark scheme I have noticed a streak of mistakes and bad patterns. For question 1 and 2 for example I need to go in more detail about the similarities between the two extracts and show clearly the main difference about different factors (background, message, prop, pose, actor)

On question 3 I didn't include a lot of theorists and their theory. I haven't really talked about Neale “repetition and difference” or Abercrombie “television producers set out to exploit genre conventions economic sense, Genres permit the creation and maintenance of a loyal audience.”

On question 4 For question 3 I felt like i did almost the same mistake as question 1 and 2. I didn't go in to much detail about important aspects that I needed to write about. From the pattern of mistakes it looks like I make more mistakes as I progress. This is probably due to poor time management which will be improved for the next assessment.

3.)

From reading the exemplar response i have realised some mistakes I could have improve on. One mistake I often come upon is that I don't go enough detail of what I want to say. It shows that I have a understanding about it but don't express it enough. For example I could have given more attention to different theorists, or make my messages clear and easy understandable when giving my own meanings and analysis. Next time I need to improve on my theoretical framework and show that I have a good understanding

4.)

I didn't get a lot of the theories (that i mentioned) wrong. I believe mainly the problem is that I haven't mentioned enough theorists or terminology. I could have talked about Abercrombie and Neale theory, could have explain more in detail using different MIGRAIN keywords and also help my explanation with using Barthe's Enigma and action codes.

5.)

The question where I had the weakest answer and low marks for was the last question with 20 marks. If I had to rewrite it this would be my plan

I would first start out with writing my first judgement when looking at the magazine cover. I would go in detail what the magazine show to the audience and what kind message it gives as well. I would then go in detail about different dominant readings. I will be analysing the positive and main messages it gives using the two-step flow theory and going into detail about the message it has on the front cover for example ("We dare you to disagree") or the main actor, Miguel and also write about uses of endorsement of hip-hop, celebrity culture, fashion and politics.

When it comes to the negotiated meaning I will show that I understand the main meaning and explain my own meanings that will adopt to the dominant meaning. I will explain that the negotiated reading will go in detail about Miguel lifestyle, about the 'sex, drugs and R&B". I will explain how the audience could adopt their own meaning to this as this is a controversial topic.

For the negotiated reading is where I will put my full focus on and make sure this is the detailed section of the assessment because the magazine has a lot of controversial topics...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Magazine Front Cover

  Research 1) Use Google to research potential magazines that you could use as your brand/design for this project. Create a shortlist of thr...